In this tutorial, we will be showing you how to build your armor from foam! Foam is a great alternative to the Pepakura method, it's cheaper, lighter, more comfortable, and more manuverable. Foam does take a little practice though, and with the help from this tutorial, you should be building clean foam armor in no time!
For this tutorial, we will be building the Halo 3 MkVI Mjolnir forearm pieces. The model is by Flying Squirell and the unfold was edited by Demogorgon for foam.
Foam Build Process[edit | edit source]
Materials Needed[edit | edit source]
- EVA Foam mats, 1/2" thick for the base model
- Crafting foam of various thicknesses for details
- Pepakura Software
- Crafting knife WITH MANY EXTRA BLADES!!!!
- 110lb Cardstock
- Hot Glue gun and Hot Glue sticks
Materials Optional[edit | edit source]
- Heat gun (HIGHLY recommended)
- Cutting surface
- Laser Cutter
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Choosing a FIle - Find the file(s) you wish to build, either in our FIle Resources page or through the 405th forums.
- Scaling your armor - Most pepakura armor is sized to fit standard body types, but there are times when they are not the right fit for an individual, in which case Pepakura Designer must be used to resize it.
- Print the template - Once the Pepakura file is ready, it must be printed. Most printers can handle cardstock, especially if they are back-loading for paper. If there are difficulties printing, a lower weight cardstock or a better printer will be needed.
- Cutting - Cut out the pieces of the template
Marking and cutting out[edit | edit source]
once you have completed the first step, move on to this one